Frequently Asked Questions

Where do I register my child for school?

School registration is done in the Central Registration Office (room 106) at the New Bedford School Department located in the Paul Rodrigues Administration Building at 455 County Street, New Bedford, MA02740.  You will need proof of residency, a copy of the child's birth certificate, and proof of immunizations/health record.


Should I contact the school if my child is absent?

Yes, some form of communication is required (telephone call, note from home, doctor/dentist's note, etc.).


What is the school's contact information?

The Jireh Swift School is located at 2203 Acushnet Avenue, New Bedford, MA 02745.  Our Telephone number is 508-997-4511508-997-4511, x. 2247.  Our fax number is 508-998-0887.


How do I set up a meeting with my child's teacher or the Principal?

Contact the main office by email, note from home, or telephone call to set up a meeting with your child's teacher or Mrs. Correia, the Principal.


How do I volunteer at the Jireh Swift School?

You must complete a CORI form (download available on the PTSO News page) before volunteering inside the school.  Email the main office requesting the form sent home, send a note with your child for the main office to send a CORI form home, or call Mrs. Spooner, the school secretary, and she will send the form home with your child.


Who do I contact for bus information?

Please feel free to contact the main office if you have any questions regarding the No Child Left Behind bus. However, please be aware that the inpidual bus companies and the school department handle the actual specifics (scheduling, changes in pickup location, setting up new pickup, discipline issues, conduct, etc.) If you are having problems transporting your child to and from school, please contact the main office for telephone numbers of independent companies that provide transportation/day care.


What do I do if I am moving or my telephone number changes?

Please contact the main office with your new address if you are moving.  It is imperative that the main office always be up to date with your contact information, especially in case of emergency.  If you are leaving the city or state, please contact the main office to coordinate sending your child's records.


How do I transfer my child if I am moving out of the city or state?

Contact the main office first with your new address and the name of the new school for your child.  If you don't know the name of the school, the school secretary can assist you in that.  You then will need to sign a release form so the school secretary can mail your child's educational/health record to the new school.  You can also request to pick up a copy for yourself, as long as the main office has enough notice.


My income changed, how do I know if my child qualifies for free/reduced lunch?

Everyone in the district now receives free breakfast and lunch, regardless of income.  There are no longer any forms that need to filled out.


Copyright © 2010